Back to Article List
Managing Common Diseases With Support From At Home Care Providers in Fairfield, CA
Dec 14, 2017 by Jorge Preciado
At home care providers can ensure senior loved ones take medication properly and live a healthy, active lifestyle safely in their homes
Hiring a professional care agency can enable seniors to attain a higher quality of life, maintain their independence, and improve their overall health. As the majority of older adults live with certain chronic and progressive conditions, many of them could greatly benefit from the support of an experienced, highly trained care provider.
Let’s take a look at some of the facts about the most common diseases that affect the senior population and how at home care services can help older adults prevent or manage these chronic conditions:
- Osteoporosis affects bone density, causing bones to become brittle and weak. Older adults living with this chronic condition are far more likely to sustain fractures. For an older person with osteoporosis, fractured bones heal very slowly due to lack of calcium in the body.
- There are more than 40 million seniors aged 50 and older living with osteoporosis in America today. Though the condition is somewhat more common in the female gender, men are also affected by osteoporosis.
- To improve bone health and successfully manage osteoporosis, at home care experts encourage older adults to consume more foods rich in calcium, refrain from alcohol, quit smoking, and regularly engage in weight-bearing exercises.
- Arthritis is a painful inflammation of the joints caused by the wear-and-tear effect over the years.
- With almost half of the senior population being affected by arthritis, this condition is one of the leading causes of disability in the US.
- For managing arthritis successfully, at home care providers recommend maintaining a healthy weight and incorporating low-impact exercises into daily routines.
Obesity & Metabolic Syndrome
- It is estimated that 75% of seniors older than 60 experience health problems caused by obesity. Obesity is directly connected with diabetes, numerous cardiovascular diseases, and many other chronic conditions.
- In order to lose weight, overweight and obese older adults should increase their physical activity and make sure they eat a nutritious, healthy diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids, unsaturated fats, and fiber.
- Coronary heart disease, hypertension, congenital heart disease, arteriosclerosis, and stroke are the most common types of cardiovascular diseases that affect adults in senior years.
- Heart health can be improved through a combination of moderate exercising a few times a week, adequate nutrition, and taking medication correctly and as prescribed by medical professionals.
- High blood sugar levels can gradually develop into diabetes.
- Type 2 diabetes is the most common type of this chronic disease. According to some estimates, one in every four US seniors over 65 is diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
- Monitoring blood sugar levels and limiting sugar, fat, and sodium intake is essential to managing diabetes, as well as taking prescribed medication on time and in the correct dosage.
If your loved one is struggling with osteoporosis, arthritis, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, or some other chronic condition, opting for professional care can make their life much easier. By receiving professional at home care, your senior mom or dad can mitigate the effects of their condition, practice successful aging and significantly improve their overall health.
Comfort Keepers In Home Care provides senior care services to the following cities and neighborhoods:
Fairfield, Vacaville, Winters, and the surrounding areas.